Monday, December 7, 2009

You're Never Too Old to Believe

(A conversation between Maddy and I, last night at Sears Hardware):

Mom: Hey Mad, they have a Santa here. Want your picture taken?
Maddy: (Shoots me look of disbelief and derision) Seriously?
Mom: Oh, come on. Why not?
Maddy: Mom. Please. I am not five.
Mom: Hey, you never know. He might be the real one.
Maddy: (Again with the look) No.
Mom: (Feeling old and realizing her baby isn't a baby anymore). Okay. Let's go find the allen wrenches for your PaPa.

As we walked by the Santa, he looked, well, bored. Bless his heart, there really aren't a lot of children running around Sears Hardware at 7:00 on a Sunday night. Heck, we wouldn't have been there if I hadn't noticed the sign advertising late hours and "big savings!"

Mom: Maddy, come on. The poor guy is bored out of his mind. At least go talk to him.
Maddy: (Sighing with resignation to the fact that the sooner she does this the sooner I'll stop harassing her). Fiiiiinnnnnne. What should I ask for?
Mom: A power drill and a sliding compound miter saw.
Maddy: (Finally showing signs of excitement) Really! Do you think I'll get them? Those would be COOL!
Mom: Uh, no. Go talk to Santa.

And she did. And she survived. And I stopped harassing her. And Santa had a kid to talk to. It was a win-win all around.


9 comments:

Hope said...

I want Santa to bring me a mitre saw!

Liz said...

That's adorable and hilarious all at the same time!

Krys72599 said...

I believe!
And I think I'll go get my picture taken with Santa this year!

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

Dude, why didn't you sit on Santa's lap and have Maddy be the photographer? If he's in a hardware store, I think he's really there for the adults. (:

Zip n Tizzy said...

He looks so grateful.
And about 5 inches shorter than her. It must be true that the store Santa's are just his elves dressed up.

Unknown said...

Aww, I love this!

Jakki said...

You know what...that is the cutest photo! I wonder if I can get my boys to do that for me...

Susan said...

I told my son "If you don't believe, you won't receive." He always replied "I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE!"

Terra said...

What a great story!