Monday, February 22, 2010

Dime Store Psychology

If you were in the metro St. Louis area on Saturday, you got a taste of Spring. It was in the upper 50s, abundant sunshine, and clear skies. Of course it was just a tease, because Sunday was cold and rainy, with a forecast of more cold the rest of the week.

The days are getting longer (which is nice when the sun decides to shine). Change is coming, and it's making me antsy. The stores are filled with bright seasonal colors on everything from Easter baskets to outdoor furniture. Soon the grey skies and brown grass will be replaced with bright blues and greens. I, for one, cannot wait.

I guess the anticipation is driving my mood lately. I'm looking around my house and seeing things I want to update. I want to paint our foyer to brighten it up, and replace the boring (but otherwise functional) beige shower curtain. Out with the gloomy and old - in with the shiny and new!

Maybe because I'm an instant-gratification person, and all the other changes aren't getting here fast enough, so putting up a coat of paint will appease my desire for a little while.

Maybe because I know change is coming on other fronts. Events in March and April are going to change the course of my life for better or worse.

Maybe an $18 shower curtain is a band-aid on bigger issues.

Maybe. But it sure is pretty.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

What, no picture?

If some redecorating is what you need to quiet your restless mind, then by all means, take up that paint brush.

Melody said...

I say there are few things a can of paint and a shower curtain can't do :) Painting is such a meditative activity!

Annie said...

I'm also an instant gratification person, definitely. And, the shower curtain is way cute!

Jaelithe said...

There are things we can fix, and there are things we cannot fix.

I find it helps me, when there is something I cannot fix, to fix the things I can.

Unknown said...

My Mom has always said: "It's amazing what a single can of paint can do."

Just make sure you take before & after photos to show us! ;)