Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hope

As part of my lifestyle change to find some peace, I recently joined a bible study group with some friends of mine. We are studying The Numbers of Hope, by Max Lucado. It is a study of the famous John 3:16 bible verse.

One of our group discussion questions was something along the lines of why we felt hope was in short supply these days. My answer was that we are bombarded daily with bad news. Go to your favorite online news home page and count how many uplifting, happy stories you see there. Turn on the TV news this evening and see what story leads off the broadcast. I bet it's not about puppies and rainbows.

As I mentioned yesterday, I tend to see only the negative already, I don't need the mainstream media aiding and abetting my bad habit.

Another group discussion was to talk about your biggest disappointment in life. The obvious answer is the deaths of Jessica and Kelli, but as I thought about it more, I amended my answer to the unfairness of life. Why was my mom taken away at 47 by a disease that ravaged her mind and body and left her a vegetable in her last months? Why were my kids yanked away in such a violent and senseless manner? Why are innocent children abused? Why are young men and women being killed in wars? The list of injustices goes on and on.

So, to have hope in the face of all that - impossible, right? It's easy to throw up your hands and say I quit! I can't take anymore! The world is going to hell in a handbasket and I'm just along for the ride!

No. It's not impossible. If I can go on, you probably can as well.

Keep your hope, your faith, your belief.

Tell yourself, just for today, I will try to believe there is good in the world, no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary.

Just for today, I will remember there is a greater power at work.

Just for today, I will put my worries aside and focus on the positives I have in my life.

Try it, just for today.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Kim, awesome post. My single greatest fear in life is having to go through what you have gone through. It is every parent's absolute worst nightmare. Your frankness and honesty is refreshing, and so is your attitude. Certainly I can focus on the good today if you can...and then I'll try it again tomorrow.

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

Alright, I'll do it for you. For one day I will focus on the positives. Then tomorrow, I'm going to go back to being a crab. :)

Anonymous said...

You remain one of the most inspiring people in my life, and you need to know I thank God for you daily. My mom always asked me for one positive thing that happened in my day before I could give my list of complaints about the negatives. My friend, you are at the top of positives.

Unknown said...

thank you.
Just for today, I will put my worries aside and focus on the positives I have in my life.

I needed that today. I mostly lurk at your blog and don't comment, but this was just the right thing for me at the right time, thanks for the hope & humor and for sharing

Krys72599 said...

This is what I posted yesterday in my blog: "My new mantra, borrowed from Leo Babauta at ZenHabits. Found him on Ali Edwards' blog.
Stop waiting for happiness. Happiness is right here, right now."
This sort of ties in with your idea about hope, faith and belief...
We can choose to be happy. Or not.
I choose happy. For the most part.

Terra said...

Right on.

minniemama68 said...

You really are an inspiration to me. I know I really need to refocus. I'll be thinking about you and this post when I start feeling sorry for myself. Thanks!!