Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Girls Gone Golfing

This past weekend BFF Lynn and I headed to the Lake of the Ozarks for a girls' weekend. We played in a charity golf tournament at Deer Chase Golf Club on Saturday.


I just started golfing a few years ago. I started out on Par 3 courses - the type where you can see the flag from where you tee off, and if you miss on your swing, you can just throw the ball to the hole. The first time I played a big-girl course, I got all freaked out. I was used to 150 yards to the green, and the first hole was 350 yards. Yes, I know, they give you a few strokes to get there, but all I could think was ZOMG 350 yards! So I whiffed my tee shot, and proceeded to smack the ball about 5 yards at a time with each subsequent shot. It wasn't pretty. I think I cried.


So as Lynn and I wound our way through the Ozark woods to this course, we were talking about that story, and reminding ourselves that this was for fun, no one expected us to be LPGA caliber golfers. We were here for sun and golf and beer and we were going to relax and have fun.

As we entered the gates of the club, ZOMG! BIG COURSE! WATER! HILLS! TREES! DOG LEGS! Yeah, we're so going to be dorks out here.


We played on separate foursomes, but she was behind me in the line up. My foursome consisted of Mike the post man, Mike from Kansas City, and Larry the Retired Guy. Nice guys who all golf pretty regularly. Fan.Tastic. I made sure I let them know that if they were A or B flight, I was Z flight, and to plan accordingly.


It was a best ball tournament thank GAWD because I did not contribute until the 11th hole, when I had an awesome layup shot and they actually used my ball to putt. I think they were all thankful I did something good, because back on the 4th hole when, after four swings at my tee shot, I got so frustrated I threw my driver. Then I had to apologize for acting like a two year old. And they were all "oh, no, it's okay, you're doing fine." I know they were thinking I was totally going to go all Bobby Knight on them.


We were anticipating the beverage cart to come around at any time but alas, it never did. When we went to the clubhouse between 9 and 10, we discovered that there was no beer cart. What.The.Hell? We each bought a cooler with a six-pack, I grabbed a hot dog, and popped the first top. After that, it was smooth swinging.


After the tournament, Lynn and I went back to the room and gussied up to hit the tavern for the afterparty. Most of the golfers were there, and we had a good time reliving the day. My reputation as tempermental proceeded me - my dad already knew the story by the time I got there. But he wrapped a putter around a tree once, so I come by my skills naturally.


We left the bar and headed to a fantastic restaurant for a steak dinner on the deck overlooking the Lake. I ordered the KC Strip and Lynn ordered the small cut of prime rib. We each received a side of beef. It was the biggest steak I've ever tried to eat but it was perfectly cooked.


We hit a couple of bars after that, and wound up at the dance club to work off the calories. The DJ played great 80s dance music, so Lynn and I hit the floor when we walked in the door.


All in all it was a great weekend. My foursome took 4th, so we didn't get any money, but it was still a lot of fun. We had a great time, met some great people, and made some great memories.


Pics here.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like great fun! I have never played a round of golf in my life....I'm scared I wouldn't be able to get air on the ball. I'll stick to putt-putt, or just golf on the Wii. :) It's cheaper that way.

Lynn said...

Had such a good time, my dear. Thanks for taking me!!!

Anonymous said...

Pics look so fun..that is the way to play golf..where they don't count your shot. J and I plan to play at Forest Park this year...I really want to.

Anonymous said...

You know, I've never had one iota of desire to play golf, but the way you describe the afternoon, it actually sounds like fun!

My perspective on golf has probably been ruined since I was a country club employee in my late teens and early 20s. Some of those men can be pompous asses, not that it's related to golf so much as the demographic that can afford country club memberships. But so many times I had people that were jerks to me, they were there golfing and I guess I just associate golfing with the scourge of the rich and entitled.

Boy, that comment got away from me, didn't it?

I once did take a single golfing lesson (ironically at the country club that I would later work at) and the instructor said I had a good, easy swing. Never did get into it much, though.

Annie said...

Congrats! You are far more brave than I am!