Friday, May 30, 2008

The Other Shoe

If you live in the Midwest, you've heard of the impending doom headed our way this afternoon in the form of thunderstorms with LARGE HAIL DAMAGING WINDS DEADLY LIGHTENING. Of course, our church picnic is tonight, and I was planning to take Maddy. She looks forward to the rides and I look forward to the beer tent.

Even in the shadow of that threat, I woke up in a good mood this morning. It's amazing how wonderful it felt, after not experiencing it for so long. It's like my Mammaw used to say when I'd bump my knee - "just think how good you'll feel when it stops hurting."

The sun was shining, the birds were singing, there was fresh air coming in through the open windows this morning. Even Maddy got up after only two tries.

Walking into work this morning, the breeze was sweet with a hint of cool air and the smell of the hot dog vendor's wares being prepped for lunch. The air was clear and the sky was blue.

I think I've lived the past months waiting for the other shoe to drop, always bracing for what else could go wrong? And when I get a rare good mood, either something happens to ruin it, or I feel guilty.

Today, I don't care about what could go wrong. I'm enjoying this happiness, however brief it might end up being. And if it does rain and we can't go to the picnic, Maddy and I will sit on our covered front porch and watch the storm, light candles in case the power goes off, and shriek like little girls when the wind whips the rain on us. We'll hold each other during the loud thunderclaps and laugh when we jump out of our skin at the noise. We'll enjoy the calm after the storm and the clean rain smell in the air after the chaos blows away.

10 comments:

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

Don't feel guilty. Think of how good it makes Maddy feel to see you happy and enjoying a beautiful day.

Remember, as you have more and more happy days, you will always have PMS to bring you back down. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy happy Friday!!

Storms are supposed to be North of our area for most of the day. Hopefully you can get some picnic time in before (if) it hits!!

Sally said...

Forget the other shoe. Enjoy this happy day with Maddy! You and she both deserve it!!! Happy Weekend!

Liz said...

What a beautiful post!

I'm hoping the storms hold off, though a good, rousing thunder storm is always exciting. As long as there's not damage and everyone is safe at home of course!

Anonymous said...

I liked reading this post. It's lovely when you have that little bubble of happy inside you. Happy for no particular reason, just happy.

MamaB said...

I love days like that and there is nothing sweeter then the smell of the air after a great thunderstorm! Enjoy it!

Lynn said...

You just hang onto days like this my dear. There will be more and more to come. I'm happy for you! And as I drove past the picnic, dropping one of mine off at her friend's house a block away, I actually told her I hoped you and Maddy were there. Glad the weather is holding off!!! LOVE YOU.

Anonymous said...

I am happy that you are having a great day. I hope it continues. don't wait for the other shoe to drop, i agree with the other commenter. don't feel guilty - keep it up and enjoy the weather.

Anonymous said...

I hope the storms held out long enough for the picnic! I am so glad to hear you had a wonderful day :)

Anonymous said...

I know I'm late about this, and the storms either already happened or they didn't, but I had to say that sounds like a helluva plan.