Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday

Well, here we are again, the last day before Lent. If you will recall last year, I gave up swearing and Maddy gave up saying shut up. I think we wound up with about $30 in our jars.

This year, I tried something different. I suggested to Maddy that I decide what she gives up and she can decide what I give up. Remind me next year that this is not a good idea.

I suggested Maddy give up her latest bad habit of huffing/sighing/slamming something when she's told no or when she's frustrated. She countered with giving up candy. I then defined "candy" to include gum, chocolate, mints and Altoids. She is seriously addicted to Altoids. Oh, and all ice cream flavors that include candy, like Moose Tracks.

She mulled it over, then agreed. Yay for my awesome negotiation skillz, right?

Here's what she requested of me: no alcohol.

Como say wha? No beer, no wine, no Parrot Bay and diet Pepsi. Nuthin'. For 40 days, people.

I thought about it, then told her I wanted to check on when my birthday fell this year. I gave up just beer one year for Lent, and then realized my birthday was the weekend before Lent ended. That was fun.

And guess what? My birthday is the Wednesday after Easter. So, after tomorrow, I'm on the wagon. I'm kind of looking forward to this. It's not like I drink daily (although I'd like to, some days). We will see if I can do this. I will be having a cocktail tonight, I guarantee that!

So, if you partake in Lent, what is your sacrifice this year?

14 comments:

Erin said...

I've attempted to partake in Lent before, but since my particular flavor of faith doesn't mandate it, I usually forget about my "sacrifice" an embarrassingly short time into it. This year, though, I'm going to give up meat.

minniemama68 said...

I'm trying the swearing thing, we didn't do a jar because we are trying to save for Disney, but I'm willing to bet I'm gonna fail big time. Nate is going to give up screaming. Quinn doesn't know yet.
Matt is giving up pop...and Paul is giving up second helpings.

SusanIsk said...

I don't do Lent, but as you'll see on my blog, I'm not drinking for the next 3 months - I'm in it with ya, sister!

Anonymous said...

One year my pastor suggested we give up bad behaviors instead of meat etc-(kind of like your's and Maddy's idea last year) that year I gave up talking bad about people . It was a good idea so I think I am gonna do it again.And listen folks easier than it sounds.

Anonymous said...

p.s. Maddy- I am still praying for you.

Sh. said...

Yikes! I'm not a big drinker so I don't think that would be a big deal for me. But the candy (sweets) would kick me in the kisser for sure!

GOOD LUCK!

Jill of All Trades said...

Oooo, good luck.

Zookeeper said...

Wow!! Best of luck with the no alcohol thing. For your sake I hope you invoke the "Sunday Rule"!

We usually give up fast food as a family. It's not too hard to do except for on weekends when we are usually looking for an easy meal at some point. Which is why we have forbidden the use of the “Sunday Rule” when it comes to fast food.

My husband and I are also going to try to use Lent as a way to help us get up and exercise every morning. It’s something we try to do anyway, but it’s so easy to simply roll over and press snooze instead of getting on the treadmill or the exercise bike. We figure if we get the Lord involved we will be more likely to get our butts in gear. You know…the guilt factor.

MaLeah said...

Hummm, we don't do Lent, but I will say that I can be in your no alcohol support group. :) I haven't touched any alcohol in gosh, I guess almost as long as Matthew and I have been married. We both gave it up after we got married. But, I will say my bad behavior that needs to change is not exercising enough. I have had a goal of doing something at least 3 times a week since I got pregnant, but I have been a slacker some weeks. But, I guess I have a good excuse. ha.ha.

Anonymous said...

Well, we observe Lent, but have never done the "giving something up" for it.

I'd have a hard time with the alcohol, not because I like to get sloshed, but because I can't imagine a good meal without good wine!

Socially, I could do it in a snap!

However, giving up Soda (pop for you out-of-towners), would be insanely hard!

I should give up self-defeating behavior, is what I should do, but I would probably stink at it.

Cricky said...

I gave up smoking. I haven't smoked since 10:22pm last night. I don't want to start up again after Lent either....

Jakki said...

Yikes...no Parrot Bay....

If my religion followed it I would give up the behavior...and that would be impatience.

She Who said...

I get to give up smoking. Not that it is a choice at this point in my life. Doctor made it very clear last week that it was give up smoking and a few other things or give up being around next year.

So, being the coward that I can be at times, I choose listen to him and hope to figure out what I want to give next year for Lent, on my own terms.

Marrdy said...

I have had friends give up their great loves for Lent. I don't observe Lent but I did give up Diet Coke. It's been two weeks. Good luck with sticking with this!