Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Day After

I was supposed to go back to work yesterday, but Maddy had a cold, so I stayed home with her. Then she felt better, so we went to Wal-Mart. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We bought some new storage containers to replace the cardboard boxes that currently serve as my Christmas decor storage and a wrapping paper container, which suspiciously resembles a skinnier version of my trash can. Oh well. 'Tis the season for organization, you know.

We also went to the Mall. I must have been mad at me or something. Again, it wasn't as bad as I thought. We had good parking karma and the only store which wasn't packed was Children's Place, which is where we needed to go. We found some good after-Christmas deals, one of which we left in the dressing room. Because I Am A Dork. (See previous post).

Then we hit Office Max. Maddy's daycare provider bought her a label maker for Christmas. Of course, she used up all the label tape which came with it. I believe it was gone within the first hour. She labeled her label maker, her TV, my friend's cell phone, and whatever else she could think of. We wandered around Office Max looking for label tape. Would it be in the section marked "Organization?" Nope. How about the aisle marked "Labels?" Too obvious. It was by the electronics, with the other label makers. Of course! How stupid of me!

It was a good Christmas, considering. Maddy got everything she wanted. Maybe I was compensating for the loss of her sisters. Not that she was spoiled nor did I spend the budget of a small country on her, but I tried to get her everything she said. Her main wishes were a Nintendo DS, Webkinz, a remote controlled car, and the Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader game. Her dad got her the remote controlled car and I did everything else. Of course, her dad broke the car doing burnouts. I thought I was a dork.

The word I would use to describe our Christmas morning - quiet. Just Maddy and me, opening presents. Actually, that's the word I'd use to describe my life now - quiet. As much as I used to wish for peace and quiet in my house, I didn't want it this way.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I was thinking about you over these last few days, and I'm glad you spent the day with your daughter. Christmas is a big holiday to get through....I hope you were able to look back without too much sadness taking over. Keep doing what you are doing to get through this right now, but know that you don't have to be superwoman all the time.....

Anonymous said...

I have thought about you all month. I know this was probably a most difficult Christmas for you and Maddy. I know that God is giving you the strength you need. I was so glad to read your most recent posts and see that you are still maintaining your sense of humor.
I, too, went to a local WalMart and bought that same wrapping paper container. Was your's red? Do you, like me, have wrapping paper rolls that are too tall for it? From one dork to another...

Anonymous said...

Maddy's lucky to have such a good mother. And spoiling her a little bit on this particular Christmas wouldn't be out of the realm of acceptable, in my humble opinion. It's good to know that, despite your losses, there was still some fun found on Christmas. I thought about you this week and hoped things were going well for you.

Maybe in the quiet, your daughters were sitting beside you and watching Maddy open her gifts.

Anonymous said...

I went to Walmart the Day After and text messaged all my friends 'Y N the world did u let me come here 2day????' to which they answered 'i'm n the same store!!!!' so we can all be dorks together.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and sending hugs. You've a lot of friends out here. Also, glad to read that we're not the only ones who didn't break the bank on gift-spending.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of you this morning and wanting to send good thoughts for you in 2008. You are still in more thoughts and prayers than you know. May the next year start bring you and Maddy peace.