Thursday, December 27, 2007

Inside and Out

Kelli had to make a model of an element for science class. The teacher wanted them to be creative. We kept thinking of ways to put her element together and we finally came up with using Christmas ornaments. She used a large silver ball as the nucleus and smaller red, silver and green ones for the protons, neutrons and electrons. She made the rings out of green pipe cleaners. It actually was very pretty. She turned it in on Wednesday before she died. She was so proud of it. I was too. She was always so artistic and creative.

I asked her science teacher if I could have it back. He sent me a kind note with it, saying it was one of the most original and creative projects he'd had. He also said she was a good student and a pleasure to have in class. She would have gotten an A on it for sure. I hope she knows that.

I recently got a letter from one of Jessica's professors along with some of her papers from the class. She had to write out some of her values and goals. One of them was to "always love and respect my mom and be grateful for everything she does for me." The professor enclosed a photo of the class. She's wearing her Texas A&M sweatshirt and showing that glamour girl smile. I can't look at it right now.

When I went to buy their burial plots, the lady at the church told me her grandson went to school with Kelli. He thought very highly of her, because she always said hi and talked to him, even though she was a cheerleader and he wasn't one of the cool kids.

I got a phone call from a woman who Jessica babysit for. She was just checking on me, and wanted to tell me how much she and her kids missed Jessica. They said she was more fun than their babysitter they have now.

See, it's stuff like that that breaks my heart all over again. I knew they were great children. Having others tell me is what makes me weep - because I wish, almost more than anything else, that they knew how much they touched others. How others saw the beauty, not just outside, but inside of them. I can't count the stories people told me of the sweet thoughtful things they did. It makes me so proud of them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim - what a poignant post. My heart just breaks for you. I have two daughters 14 and 10, and I would absolutley not know how to go on if something happened to them. You are so brave and I know that you go on for Maddy. I pray that you and Maddy will find peace and solace in knowing that your beautiful daugthers are looking down from heaven with a smile on their faces.

Anonymous said...

Talk about moments that make you actually want to smile and laugh with pride but also make you want to cry,

MP said...

Your post is a reminder to tell people while they are with us what they mean to us..from good service at McDonalds drive through to the neighbor boy shoveling our snow..

Raquita said...

ah - your girls make me smile. the post makes me tear, the world was lucky to have them.

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

It’s amazing how we affect each other in ways that seem trivial and insignificant from our perspective, yet the same instance is profound for someone else.

Anonymous said...

I second Raquita: the world was lucky to have them for the time they were here. And it's the little ways of being kind to others that people seem to remember the most. It's a good lesson for us to learn about treating our neighbors and those in our lives.

I think about you often. Today, as I was driving home from the O'Fallon Sam's Club, I saw a sign on a State Farm insurance company marquee that said, "Our prayers are with the Uhls." You and your girls have touched more than you know.

Nancy R said...

You're still in my thoughts, and have been through the holidays.

The mini vacay sounds like it was a nice respite.

I third (fourth?) the statement that the world was lucky to have your girls. Their generous spirits have probably touched more people than you'll ever know.