Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Squeeee! A Recap

If you were driving past Riverport last night and your car windows shattered, you can blame the throngs of squealing tweens who attended the Jonas Brothers show.

Maddy's daycare goddess, Becky, managed to score VIP Meet and Greet access for us (Becky, you RAWK!) The VIP area was held under tent inside a fenced and gated area over by the concessions. So we strapped on our red VIP bracelets and got in line with the other 300 VIPs and waited our turn.

Suddenly, a group of girls on the lawn thought they might have seen something that remotely resembled Nick, Joe or Kevin, and the crowd went wild. We were immediately surrounded on both sides by girls who were jumping, screaming, crying, and shoving their way up to the fence. Lynn and I immediately went into Mom Mode to protect Tori and Maddy from the crush, and told them if it got ugly, to head for the bathroom. Maddy and Tori were a little freaked out by the madness but they were strong and held their ground.

Security was doing its best to corral the herd and get the non-VIPs out of the area. I started helping by telling girls if they didn't have a bracelet, security would throw them out of the concert. A little harsh, but efficient. It worked on the majority; however, one girl stood her ground, gave me a haughty little shrug and said "whatever." I had to give her credit for seeing through my BS, and since she wasn't encroaching on my personal space, I let her stay. 30 seconds later, Security cleared her out. Sorry, honey.
After 15 minutes of mayhem, calm was restored. We finally made it inside the fence, stood in line for another 10 minutes, and finally, there they were. Joe, Kevin and Nick, patiently waiting for Maddy and I to show up so we could all be photographed with my HAIR. Seriously - I look like I just came back from a Dallas hairdresser. Maybe it was the fan blowing on me.




After that, we headed to the lawn, which by this time was packed. We found a relatively empty spot on the side, which was in quick walking distance to the bathrooms, beer and cotton candy vendors. I have found the secret to getting rich quick - sell a $1 bag of cotton candy for $7 and throw in a fifty-cent glo stick necklace. Instant ridiculous profit.

Avril Lavigne opened, and she rocked the house. Maddy sang along with a couple of her songs, and said "I didn't know that was who sang this, she's pretty!" She really is cute, has some decent music, and has managed to not turn into a tabloid queen like some of her peers (I'm looking at you Britney/Jessica/Ashlee).

And finally. The moment arrived. The lights went out, the entrance music started, they took the stage and the place erupted with the high-pitched shrieks of 50,000 preteens. And then my eardrums exploded.



The girls had a good time singing and dancing and taking pictures. Then they decided to amuse themselves by rolling down the hill. Of course, Lynn and I had to join in the fun, and it was cool to feel like a little kid again. Until I had to stop before I puked.
We left early to beat the traffic, got home at midnight, and fell into bed.

All in all, it was a great time, and for Maddy's first concert, we set the bar pretty high, what with the VIP treatment and meeting the band. I hope she doesn't expect that all the time, but I will do my darndest to make sure she has fun, even if it means rolling down a hill until I barf.



Check out Flickr for the rest of the pics.

12 comments:

Liz said...

OMG! I thought that picture was superimposed at first. How lucky are you guys? I don't even know any Jonas Bros. songs but I'm jealous!

MaLeah said...

Kim:
Hello, it's MaLeah from over on Always On Vacation! I've just wandered over to your blog for the first time! I figured it was time to "meet" you since you've seen my blog before and I was searching for a picture of Nolan of course. Even though I haven't met Nolan yet, I was super excited to see what a cool mom you are! Taking your daughter to Jonas Brothers scores major points in my book! Aren't those guys adorable?! I bet she was excited! What I wasn't prepared for is the sadness that you have been through with your daughters who were killed in the car accident. Oh my gosh, how horrible. The things you have been through and write about on your blog make all my crap about vacations seem so trivial. We all need to remember that the most precious gifts we have are right here in front of us (our family.) I am humbled by your story and inspired by the way that you seem to be so dedicated and such a sweet mom for your youngest! I look forward to keeping in touch via both our blogs.

MaLeah
http://permanentvacationfromreality.blogspot.com
If you'd like to e-mail me directly, you can reach me at adpi1999@hotmail.com

p.s. I've never been to St. Louis so you'll have to let me know how the Arch visit goes!

SusanIsk said...

What a great experience for you two! I bet she'll always remember it. I know that I remember my first concert: Rockapella (the guys who sang "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?" Not as cool as the Jonas Brothers, but I'll take it!

Michelle Linneman said...

You are the coolest mom! What a great picture and terrific memory for Maddy.

My first concert was NKOTB and I thought I was going to die being in the same stadium as them. This was when the old Busch still had concerts. I'll always remember that concert and I know Maddy will too.

minniemama68 said...

Oh Kim,
You are really lucky to have girls.....
I'd much rather see the JB than the Wiggles (next month).
I can't figure out how to e-mail you privately, so I'll ask here, how do you donate to your girl's fund??? And when I was writing my blog entry about my stupid brother threatening my husband, I was thinking, "oh, Kim would love reading this. She's so been there."

Jill said...

looks like you had a great time, the first concert we took our girls to was the Beach Boys, they were about 6 and 4, and fell asleep at the end of the concert and we had to carry them all the way to the car. I thought my arms would never be the same, but it's a night I will always cherish!

Michelle said...

Yeah!!
Sounds like a rockn' good time.
You two look great!
Thanks for sharing.

Jakki said...

Oh my Gawd lady...YOU rock!!! Forget about anyone else you did some spectacular stuff there for your daughter. And YES you set the bar pretty hight there LOL

Anonymous said...

Isn't it special to be at a child's first big concert? I took Jordan to see Evanescence when they toured Australia lat year. The whole big stadium experience blew his mind. (The songs all sounded pretty much the same to me, but that wasn't the point of the whole thing!!)
She'll always remember this night.

Jules said...

You and your daughter look like you had a blast! I'm so glad you are.

I'm a newer reader, found you through Kelli, and thought I would say hi. so, HI!

Anonymous said...

what a great memory for you two to have; you both look so happy--- how fun!

Marrdy said...

Holy Cow!!!! The Jonas Brothers??? Maddy is one lucky girl. That would be like me meeting Bobby Sherman when I was her age. What a great memory.