Thursday, July 10, 2008

Whipping It Up - Redux

My earlier recipe, although delicious, did not meet the criteria as it was not a new recipe to me. Oopsie.

So, even though this week's hint was pasta, I am going to submit the dessert receipe I tried over the Fourth holiday. When dessert is the hint, I'll do pasta. Because I'm a dork like that.

This recipe is slightly adapted from Stephanie at the Cupcake Project. She makes her cupcakes from scratch. I use our old family recipe passed down from Aunt Betty (Crocker).

Again, I will post pictures when my laptop stops threatening to crash. For now, enjoy Stef's. Her husband is a professional photographer. I highly recommend him.

Grilled Orange Cup Cupcakes

6 medium navel oranges
Vanilla cake mix
Your choice of frosting (I used reduced-fat chocolate)

Slice oranges in half and scoop out the pulp. Leaving some juice and pulp in is okay, the flavor will be a stronger orange flavor.

Place the orange cups into a muffin pan.

Mix cake mix according to package directions. Spoon the batter into the orange cups, filing to just below the tops. (You will probably have enough batter left over to do another 6 oranges. I baked my remaining batter in an 8x8 cake pan at 350 for 30 minutes).

Preheat your grill to medium (350-375). Place the muffin pan on the grates (I put a disposable aluminum cookie sheet under my muffin pan to reduce the charring of the pan).

Grill for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool, then frost as desired.

Was the recipe easy to follow? Yes, it was. Stef's original recipe indicated she was able to bake hers in about 10 minutes. Mine took longer, but I kept opening the lid to check them, and maybe because I had the aluminum cookie sheet under it.

Did it taste good? Yes, I got a lot of compliments, especially when I told people they were made on the grill. Using a gas grill, I did not have a smoky taste. I think if you used a charcoal grill, you might get a little more "outdoorsy" taste.

Would I try again? Yes, although it was a lot of work to scoop the oranges. Next time I would juice the oranges for fresh OJ, instead of scooping out the insides. I would also try it with chocolate batter and leave a little more pulp in the oranges.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

mmmmm, sounds yummy! I love orange with chocolate too.....

Anonymous said...

Interesting! How orange-y does the cupcake get?

Kim said...

@RA - mine had a hint of orange flavor, but I cleaned out the orange. I think if you left a little pulp and juice it would taste more orange-y. They were still good.

Stef said...

Juicing is a great idea! The scooping part was definitly the post annoying part of it. Glad you enjoyed them!

Lisa said...

Am going to short out the keyboard from all of the drooling over that recipie. Yummmmm

Zip n Tizzy said...

Yumm!
You're making me hungry!

Unknown said...

Cool idea!
I know what you mean about those family recipes - I love using the ones passed down from Grandpa Hines, they're our favorite!

shelleycoughlin said...

Oh man, chocolate and orange is one of my favorite combos.