Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Whip It Up - Week 3

This week's Whip It Up suggestion was old favorites.


My good friend makes awesome Italian Beef. However, her recipe called for browning a beef roast in olive oil and garlic, slow cooking it all day, shredding it and finally simmering it in the juices for another hour. Fantastic stuff, but I didn't have that kind of time, considering I decided at 4:30pm that we were having it for dinner. And Maddy had a softball game that night.



I decided to substitute sliced deli roast beef instead. Genius! Also, I could put it in the crock pot on high for a couple of hours while Maddy played ball, and it would be hot and ready when we got home! Double genius!


So, this week's receipe is Shortcut Italian Beef. Enjoy!


1 1/2 pounds deli sliced roast beef
2 c beef broth
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1 T juice from jarred pepperonicini peppers




In a crock pot, place half the beef, then pour half the broth over it. Repeat with the remaining beef and broth. Sprinkle seasonings over meat, add pepper juice and toss beef to coat.






Turn crock-pot to high and let cook for 1-2 hours or until hot.

Serve on toasted rolls (brushed with butter and sprinkled with garlic) with provelone cheeese. We put extra broth in a small bowl for au jus dipping.




(Also pictured - Ritz Toasted Chips in Parmesan Garlic - delish!)

*Note - If you don't have a crock pot, or don't want to wait a couple of hours, I would suggest simmering the beef in the broth and spices for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.


Now the questions:

Was it easy? Very easy. Much less labor intensive than the original recipe of browning the roast, waiting for it to slow cook, then shredding it.


Did it taste good? Surprisingly good, for using deli meat. It didn't have a fast food/processed meat taste to it.


Would I make it again? Heck yeah! When Maddy starts soccer, I will probably make this occasionally for a quick dinner.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The finished sandwich looks WAY more complicated than that recipe! Go you!

CdL said...

I'm trying it tonight. Thanks, I was sick of chicken. I'll let you know my review.

Michelle Linneman said...

The cdl comment was actually from me. Apparently, my husband has a profile on here also.

Marrdy said...

This looks great. I am going to give it a try. You are a genius!!!

Michelle Linneman said...

YUM!YUM!YUM! Thanks for the recipe. It was a hit in the Linneman household. We have leftovers so we're having it tonight. Thanks again!

Kim said...

@Michelle - glad you liked it!

Kelli said...

That looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! I've been reading your blog for quite awhile (Dana sent me over). I just started a blog so I finally want to comment! My husband and I loved this! It's so much easier than using the roast! Thanks for sharing ;)