Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Unfairness of It All

Life isn't fair. We all know that. We even try to prepare our children for that fact. "Can I have a a cookie?" "No, it's almost dinner time." "It's not FAIR!" "You're right, life isn't fair."

I had the rug yanked out from under me in November. I'm just now feeling like I'm back on solid ground. And then. I read Lisa's blog and she has cancer. She's 35. She has a young son, a husband. It's not fair.

Maddy's great-grandfather passed away recently. She had to death with the death of a loved one again. It's not fair.

My BFF Heather told me her mother had a heart attack over the weekend. She's going to pull through. But. It's not fair.

My friend Tara is watching her once-feisty grandmother slowly deteriorate. It's not fair.

All of us deal with the unfairness of life every day, in some measure or another. If you're lucky, and I know I am, you have a circle of friends and family and community that will be there for you, no matter what. That's what got me through my dark days - I knew that all I had to do was reach out, and someone would be there for me. Someone to hug me, help me, catch me, love me.

And that takes some of the sting from the unfairness.

11 comments:

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

Well said.

Zookeeper said...

It really isn't fair. I wish there was something we could do about that.

Jill said...

thank God for our friends and family, I can't imagine going through these things alone

Anonymous said...

Kim that was an AWESOME post.. really...Thank You!!

Zip n Tizzy said...

You truly amaze me! Really, every time I read you.
Life's not fair, and I believe you when you say that it really takes the support of loved ones to get you through, because you have been through indescribable circumstances this past year, and you still are so full of zest and humor and vitality.
Wow!

minniemama68 said...

You are so right. God bless you.

Marrdy said...

There are a few of my blogging "friends" that I would someday like to meet and you are one of them. You impress me that you can survive after your devastation and now you are giving everyone help and hope. Hugs and thanks to you!

Marrdy said...

Kim-I gave you a blog award. One that you really do deserve. Stop by my blog and check it out.

Anonymous said...

well said.

She Who said...

Kim,

You are awesome, as always. Enjoy the mini vacations and your time away.

J

hollibobolli said...

exactly. It's been years of "not fair" but nobody ever said things would be otherwise - I'm just glad I'm here. (and you too)

xo